Thursday, December 16, 2010

Open sights and aging eyes

I made a discovery this week when the muzzleloading deer season started--I'm blind as a bat when it comes to seeing my musket sights. What I really learned was that I can see the front sight when I put my reading glasses on (my eyes went to hell in the last six months). Voila! I can see the front sight.

Which led me to spend the last day or two researching Rx shooting glasses, aperture suction-cup thingies, etc etc. I should have stayed in skirmishing when I was young and able-bodied; now I am decrepit and can't see straight.

I suspect my eye issues are partly explain why I shot the carbine (with a peep) better than my two-bander this past season.

I like what Jon said--I wish I could have last season back knowing what I know now. But at least I've got a game plan for my musket for this next season.

Jim

ps. here's a cool link: http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/nwongmain/eyeguide.html . Check out the links to his other topics.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this Jim, my eyes have really changed over the last year and I really noticed it during muzzleloader season.

    ReplyDelete